H2n - Surround Sound Handy Recorder
The H2n Handy Recorder is the only portable recording device to come with five built-in microphones and four different recording modes: X/Y, Mid-Side, 2-channel surround and 4-channel surround. Other advanced features include automatic gain control and onboard MS decoding, plus effects like compression, limiting and low cut filtering. You can even use the H2n as a multi-purpose USB microphone!
Using the H2N
With its multiple microphones and recording modes, the H2n can handle just about every kind of application. Here are just a few ways it can be used:
• Live recording of concerts and rehearsals, in either stereo or surround sound
• Location videography—the H2n gives you plenty of options in postproduction
• Creating audio for YouTube videos
• Generating lasting audio documents of important events
• As a USB microphone providing input to recording software
Four Ways of Recording
The H2n offers not one, not two, but five built-in microphones. Two of them are arranged as an X/Y pair, while the other three are configured in an MS ("Mid-Side") pattern. They can be used separately for X/Y or MS stereo recording or combined to create stunning 2- or 4-channel surround sound.
Mid-Side for Variable Stereo Width
Mid-Side recording is an incredible technique that allows you to actually adjust the width of the stereo image after it has been recorded, while maintaining perfect mono compatibility, making it especially useful for film, video and television projects.
The three microphone elements in the H2n MS mic are set directly on top of one another. One faces forward and the other two face to the side.
Surround Sound for Lifelike Realism
The H2n allows you to combine the signals from both the X/Y and MS microphones in order to create surround sound recordings of everything you hear—not just those sounds coming from in front of you, but from all directions.
The Zoom H2n is the only handheld recorder that captures four-channel surround sound audio. With Firmware v 2.0, it’s perfect for the creation of 360-degree “Spatial Audio” files, the next-generation surround sound format native to the google JUMP Virtual Reality Platform.
Using “Spatial Audio” mode, you can create a single four-channel, multi-track WAV file that includes Omni, Left/Right, and Forward/Backward tracks. This Spatial Audio file is then ready to be combined with 360-degree VR videos recorded with the google JUMP compatible camera rig (such as the GoPro Odyssey or Ricoh Theta). Once completed, the immersive videos are ready to upload to YouTube.
• Five built-in microphones and four recording modes: Mid-Side (MS) stereo, 90° X/Y stereo, and both 2-channel and 4-channel surround
• Analog-type input gain control
• Auto Gain provides three preset recording levels
• Stereo ⅛" Mic/Line In mini phone jack with Plug-in power (2.5V)
• Stereo ⅛" Phone/Line Output jack with dedicated volume control
• Built-in reference speaker for fast monitoring
• Large 1.8 inch backlit LCD display
• Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 GB
• Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
• Auto-record and Pre-record features
• WAV to MP3 conversion
• Internal mixdown: four-track surround to stereo
• Up to 99 marks per recording
• Built-in effects, including compression/limiting and low-cut filtering
• Onboard MS decoding
• Normalize and Divide functions
• Chromatic tuner and metronome
• Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
• Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150% for phrase training
• Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
• USB port for data exchange to and from computer and use as a USB microphone
• 4-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
• SD card reader function
• Data recovery function automatically saves data if power fails or card is removed
• Mounts directly to tripod or DSLR
• Runs on only 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AC adapter (AD-17, USB to AC type)
• Over 20 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries